Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dessert with nothing in it...


I am believer that you are what you eat. It doesn't help that I have the Internet at the tip of my fingers and have found site after site discouraging me from feasting on trans fats, refined sugar and other flavorful delights. I am also an avid watcher of Martha Stewart. Laugh all you want, but I do love that woman! It was on an episode of Martha that I was introduced to BabyCakes NYC. Erin McKenna, Owner, chef and fellow allergy sufferer, made a batch of her allergen-free brownies. I tried them at home and was hooked..... for life!

I was recently in New York to scope out the Stationery Show. At the top of my list of New York to do's was of course visiting BabyCakes Bakery in person. With a steady line of customers, BabyCakes is a quaint little place. Only someone with dietary restrictions could relate to the joy I felt knowing I could order any cupcake I want. Vanilla, chocolate, banana, coconut... They were moist and flavorful, and were topped off great with a brownie! BabyCakes has an extensive sweets menu, but a girl has to limit herself!

There has been rumor that BabyCakes NYC may be coming to Los Angeles. We've plenty of cupcakeries here in LA but none that may boast vegan, sugar-free and gluten-free all in one cup cake. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would visit a West Coast BabyCakes shop. Come on! We're waiting!

No comments: