Monday, September 24, 2007

Tote-ally Fabulous




If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet you'd better get going. Word on the street is if you aren't bringing your own canvas bags to the grocery store you're not ecologically cool! Some stores, like my local Trader Joes, give you a little form to fill out each time you bring your own bags and you are entered into a sweepstakes for free groceries. Think of all the things you won't have to do by bringing your own bags; you won't have to figure out how to store the 100 plus plastic bags under your kitchen sink, you won't have to figure out how to fold 80 brown paper bags the way they were before they were used, (much like re-folding a map for those of you who have tried that.) you won't have to sort through the bags searching for those without holes in the bottom.

There are so many indie designers coming out with very cute totes and what better excuse to buy them than for your groceries...and of course for Mother Earth.

I can usually get all my groceries into 1 large and 2 medium totes. I hit the grocery store about 2 times per week. I stuff all the empty totes into one another and it easy to carry into the store. The cashiers always seemed pleased that they won't have to use their talents in double-bagging with my heavy canvas straps in tow. Once home the bags are very easy to lug up my steep flight of stairs when slung over the shoulder instead of grasped tightly in each hand. And after loading up my fridge the bags get returned to my car for the next grocery store trip. I've found I don't remember them unless they are stored in my car.


A couple companies that are specializing in grocery store totes:
http://www.usa.envirosax.com/index.php
http://www.bluelotusblankets.com/products/bags/

For something a little more vogue:
http://www.etoileboutique.net/

I admit, I do use and reuse plastic and brown bags. The plastic bags get loaded up with kitty litter. However I'm trying to come up with a more earth-firendly option for litter toting. If you have any ideas for me let me know. And my brown bags get cut into 8.5" x 11" sheets and fed into my printer. You've probably noticed them in the packaging of my notecards.

On an end note, don't forget to wash your totes. We don't want to be mistaken for anything but sqeaky-clean eco-defenders.

No comments: